Role in Brief
At Volition, our Portfolio Officers are responsible for sourcing new investments, conducting due diligence, and monitoring the performance of their assigned portfolios. Typically, each Officer is responsible for similar assets and portfolio companies. In this instance, we are seeking an officer for our agriculture portfolio.
The Portfolio Officer for Agriculture is expected to develop & propose new investment strategies and to maintain current market knowledge, under the general oversight of our Investment Operations Manager. They will be responsible for the end-to-end portfolio delivery process for our agriculture investments – deal sourcing, administration, monitoring, and eventual divestment.
About Volition Capital
Volition Capital helps the honest & hardworking create wealth and enjoy fulfilling lives. We do so through private equity, venture funds, and cooperatives.
Period & Mode of Engagement
Full-time employment with a probationary period of 6 months.
Primary Job Location
Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.
Investment Operations Manager
Roles and Responsibilities
• Develops and dynamically updates the company’s agriculture portfolio management framework.
• Sources new agriculture investments utilizing industry relationships, experience, and creativity.
• Analyzes and structures commercial agriculture deals for credit or investment.
• Actively performs the Credit Analysis & Control (CAC) function before and after credit issuance.
• Conducts due diligence on agriculture investments, including analysis, references, and full strategy reviews.
• Manages negotiations and the closing process for new agriculture investments, including relevant contracts in conjunction with Volition’s legal counsel.
• Conducts regular visits to portfolio companies and farm/production sites.
• Maintains consistent communication with portfolio companies and the relevant departments within Volition – Legal, Risk Management, Investment Committee, Debt Recovery etc.
• Provides detailed performance oversight and reporting for portfolios.
Skills Set & Values
• Strong portfolio management, project management, and investment analysis background.
• Strong knowledge of the agriculture space, including farming cycles and seasons.
• Proven hands-on experience with monitoring portfolio companies and managing multiple assets in a portfolio.
• Ability to analyze pitch decks and financial forecasts.
• Highly skilled in developing, publishing, and presenting reports.
• Incredible drive & follow-up skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to build and manage relationships with key stakeholders.
• Ability to facilitate meetings for requirements definition, performance assessments, negotiations, risk & issue identification, and status tracking.
• Expertise in managing one or more projects with complex dependencies and risks. Capacity to spot significant deviations in agreed metrics.
• Ability to ask probing questions, reconcile different viewpoints, foster consensus, and stimulate thinking in others.
Remuneration & Perks
• Competitive salary in line with industry benchmarks.
• Health benefits on confirmation.
• Housing allowance a year after confirmation.
• Laptop and other relevant work tools/apps.
• Staff-only investment opportunities
• A high degree of autonomy & flexibility
• This position requires a significant amount of traveling, for active investment monitoring.
• All travel expenses within and outside Nigeria will be covered by the company