JOB TITLE: Investment Director
REPORTS TO: Managing Director / Chief Investment Officer
To source, invest in, manage, and exit investment transactions on behalf of the ARM-Harith Infrastructure Fund Series, ensuring maximum returns to all stakeholders. As part of executive management within the Fund Management Team, to raise capital for ARMHIF Fund Series.
While they include the following, other duties may be assigned to the job holder:
▪ Participate in the development of the business strategy and business plan as part of the executive management team of the company.
▪ Develop and deploy investment strategies in line with business requirements to ensure optimal return.
▪ Develop and implement relevant policies, processes, and procedures in line with business, legislative and regulatory requirements.
▪ Initiate and assume responsibility for the total investment process in terms of deal sourcing, evaluation, and performing of due diligence, transaction structuring, and approval; submissions to the Investment Committee and Fund Advisory Board, as well as the closing and monitoring of investments:
▪ Develops a robust pipeline of deals in line with investment strategy through the marketing, networking, and sourcing of transactions.
▪ Evaluates proposed deals together with the Chief Investment Officer and the Investment Team.
▪ Submits deals approved at pre-screening stage, to the Investment Committee for approval in principle.
▪ Evaluates and tests the financial model proposed; adding scenarios and sensitivities to validate investment thesis.
▪ Contribute to the delivery agreements with partners in line with the Fund
▪ Investment Policy and other internal policies/procedures.
▪ Facilitates and manages project due diligence, ensuring proper budgetary control.
▪ Prepares an Investment Memorandum for submission to the Managing Director/CIO for pre-screening, and for onward transmission to the Investment Committee as appropriate.
The Investment Memorandum will include project outline and economics, risks identified and respective mitigants, expected return on investment, possible exits, governance etc.
▪ Performs benchmarking and analytical studies and prepares reports and recommendations in order to ensure informed decision making.
▪ Prepares documentation for deliberations by the Investment Committee for submission to the Fund Advisory Board for approval, and upon approval, effects legal agreements, and obtains Draw Down notice to secure funds.
▪ Manages investments by working together with the Managing Director/CIO, and the management teams and directors of portfolio companies, to achieve maximum returns:
▪ Assists portfolio companies in the development of business plans and budgets
▪ Attends Board meetings of investee companies where designated to serve on such boards
▪ Prepares quarterly reports for the Investment Team Meetings, the Investment Committee, and the Fund Advisory Board and all LPs, to report the status and performance of investments
▪ Identifies value creation opportunities for portfolio companies and takes a leading role in executing such opportunities.
▪ Continuously explores opportunities for exiting underlying investments.
▪ Report to the Managing Director/CIO in respect of the pipeline of deals under development and implemented deals for which responsibility has been assigned.
▪ Report to and takes up policy issues relating to investment and international activities with investors, the Managing Director/CIO, the Board of Directors, and government authorities.
▪ Compiles and manages project budgets as approved.
▪ Has overall responsibility for assigned departmental staff and budgets as well as
computations in respect of drawdown notices, returns, carried interest, etc.
▪ Participates in fundraising initiatives including information creation, presentations, and
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, and KNOWLEDGE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
▪ Strong Intellect: with emphasis on finance, engineering and economics. Intellectual
curiosity and the knack for solving complex problems
▪ Discipline: for accomplishing complex problems involving multiple stakeholders
▪ Entrepreneurship: The ability to be creative and innovative
▪ Global perspective and broad-mindedness: to understand other cultures and societies, and ability to work with international partners
▪ Relationship Building: through a strong set of interpersonal skills.
▪ Experience managing, coaching and training others.
▪ Good business communication skills.
▪ Ability to create and manage operations systems to process and manage transactions.
▪ Experience in funds, infrastructure, energy and other themes relevant to the Employer.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
▪ Business development and relationship management for deals.
▪ Ability to conduct appraisals and due diligence of a broad range of energy and infrastructure projects.
▪ Ability to structure investments in infrastructure assets and to lead negotiations to close equity investments in infrastructure projects
▪ Project and Structured Finance
▪ Financial modelling assessment skills and ability to coach analysts and associates in financial analysis and development of complex financial models.
▪ Demonstrated knowledge and application of financial tools for tracking projects.
▪ Familiarity with accounting principles
▪ High quality written communication skills
▪ Advanced skill in the use of the Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel and PowerPoint.
▪ University degree in finance, economics, accounting, engineering, energy, or infrastructure to ensure a quantitative component, such as finance, accounting or economics, and other subjects that provide training in analytical and quantitative skills, such as statistics, mathematics, or engineering.
▪ Minimum of 10 years’ post-qualification experience in a similar or related position – project development, private equity, infrastructure, energy, principal investing, project finance.
▪ Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree required
▪ CFA, ACCA, CAIA, etc. are added advantages